Links to Related Websites: Databases, Journals, Directories, Organizations and Societies
- Natural History & Images
- Evolution & Earth History
- Bioscience Education
- Databases, Journals, Directories, Organizations and Societies
Links to taxon-specific sites on the World Wide Web can be found throughout the Tree of Life.
- International Working Group on Taxonomic Databases. International Union of Biological Sciences.
- TreeBASE. A database of phylogenetic trees and data matrices published in the primary systematic literature.
- Cladestore. An electronic source of data matrices from published cladograms. University of Bristol.
- Species 2000. An effort to index the world's known species.
- BIOSIS. The world's largest collection of abstracts and bibliographic references to worldwide biological and medical literature.
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS). On-line list of biological names focusing on the biota of North America.
- National Biological Information Infrastructure (NBII). An electronic gateway to biological data and information maintained by federal, state, and local government agencies, private sector organizations, and other partners around the nation and the world.
- TimeTree. A database of species divergence times. Penn State and Arizona State University.
- WildFinder. Mapping the World's Species. A map-driven, searchable database of more than 30,000 bird, mammal, reptile, and amphibian species worldwide. World Wildlife Fund.
- Global Invasive Species Database. IUCN/SSC Invasive Species Specialist Group (ISSG).
- uBio - Universal Biological Indexer and Organizer. A system of client and server tools that interact with the Taxonomic Name Server (TNS), which serves authoritative taxonomic opinions within a multi-classification framework. The Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole.
- OBIS. Ocean Biogeographic Information System. A globally-distributed network of systematic, ecological, and environmental information systems to communicate biological information about the ocean.
- World Data Centre for Microorganisms. Provides a comprehensive directory of culture collections, databases on microbes and cell lines.
- InfoNatura. Birds and mammals of Latin America. Association for Biodiversity Information in collaboration with the Natural Heritage Network.
- Fauna Europaea. A database of all European land and fresh-water animals.
- Kingdoms Project's Natural Sciences Databases. Collaborative project of the Illinois State Academy of Science, the Illinois State Museum, and the Weizmann Institute of Science.
- Man and the Biosphere Species Databases. Databases of vascular plant and vertebrate animal occurrences on the world's biosphere reserves and other protected areas.
- Species in Parks: Flora and Fauna Databases. Databases of vascular plant and vertebrate animal species reported to occur within lands managed by the U.S. National Park Service.
- Threatened Animals of the World. A database maintained by the World Conservation Monitoring Centre.
- Base de Dados Tropical (BDT). Tropical Data Base of the André Tasello Foundation, Brazil. A variety of databases providing biological information of environmental and industrial interest.
- Biota of North America Program (BONAP). Data for all vascular plants and vertebrate species (native, naturalized, and adventive) of North America, north of Mexico.
- MaPSTeDI. A collaborative effort between the University of Colorado Museum, Denver Museum of Nature and Science, and Denver Botanic Gardens to convert separate collections into one distributed biodiversity database and research toolkit for the southern and central Rockies and adjacent plains.
- German Collection of Microorganisms and Cell Cultures (DSMZ). An independent, non-profit organization dedicated to the acquisition, characterization and identification, preservation and distribution of Bacteria, Archaea, fungi, plasmids, phages, human and animal cell lines, plant cell cultures and plant viruses.
- The Fossil Record 2. A near-complete listing of the diversity of life through time, compiled at the level of the family. University of Bristol.
- The Paleobiology Database. Providing global, collection-based occurrence and taxonomic data for marine and terrestrial animals and plants of any geological age.
- PaleoBank. A relational database for invertebrate paleontology.
- NMITA: Neogene Marine Biota of Tropical America . An online biotic database containing images and data for taxa used in analyses of Tropical American biodiversity over the past 25 million years.
- PaleoBase. An illustrated, relational database of invertebrate fossils for education and research. The Natural History Museum, London.
- Brain Biodiversity Bank. National Museum of Health and Medicine, Michigan State University, University of Wisconsin.
- National Center for Biotechnology
Information Home. Links to Genbank and other molecular and literature
WWW Server. A search and retrieval system that integrates
information from databases at NCBI.
- Entrez Nucleotides Database. A collection of sequences from several sources, including GenBank, RefSeq, and PDB.
- Entrez Protein Database. A database compiled from a variety of sources, including SwissProt, PIR, PRF, PDB, and translations from annotated coding regions in GenBank and RefSeq.
- Molecular Modelling Database (MMDB). Contains over 10,000 3-D macromolecular structures, including proteins and polynucleotides.
- Complete Genome Assemblies. The whole genomes of over 800 organisms.
- NCBI Taxonomy Homepage.
- Entrez WWW Server. A search and retrieval system that integrates information from databases at NCBI.
- EBI. European Bioinformatics Institute.
- EMBL Nucleotide Sequence Database. Europe's primary nucleotide sequence resource.
- SWISS-PROT. An annotated protein sequence database.
- Completed Genomes at the EBI.
- Macromolecular Structure Database (EBI-MSD).
- Cogent. Complete Genome Tracking Database. A Database of Complete Genomes and their Protein Sequences.
- DDBJ. DNA Data Bank of Japan.
- GOBASE - The Organelle Genome Database. A taxonomically broad organelle genome database that organizes and integrates diverse data related to organelles.
- Ribosomal Database Project II. Online data analysis of ribosomal sequences, rRNA derived phylogenetic trees, and aligned and annotated rRNA sequences. Michigan State University.
- ssu rRNA database. Departement Biochemie. Universiteit Antwerpen.
- ExPASy Molecular Biology Server. Expert Protein Analysis System proteomics server of the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics (SIB), dedicated to the analysis of protein sequences and structures as well as 2-D PAGE.
- IMB Jena Image Library of Biological Macromolecules. Information on three-dimensional biopolymer structures with emphasis on visualization and analysis.
- Protein Data Bank (PDB). International repository for the processing and distribution of 3-D macromolecular structure data.
- Nucleic Acid Database (NDB). Structural information about nucleic acids.
- ISIS: Intron Sequence and Information database. A comprehensive web based intron information system containing all identifiable spliceosomal intron sequences in GenBank with information about both individual sequences and gross properties of natural groupings of sequence (for example by taxa ) using a nonredundant subset of the data.
- Reciprocal Net. A distributed database used by research crystallographers to store information about molecular structures.
- Klotho: Biochemical Compounds Declarative Database
- Metabolic Pathways of Biochemistry
- GEO-DATA Explorer (GEODE). Information from geo-spatial databases containing a broad spectrum of data produced by the U.S. Geological Survey and other government agencies.
- Geodata.gov. Geospatial data for the United States.
- National Geologic Map Database. U.S. Geological Survey.
- Maps and References. University of Iowa Center for Global & Regional Environmental Research.
- Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names.
- GEOnet Names Server. The National Imagery and Mapping Agency's (NIMA) database of foreign geographic feature names.
- National Geographic Map Machine.
- NASA World Wind. Leveraging Landsat satellite imagery and Shuttle Radar Topography Mission data, World Wind lets you zoom from satellite altitude into any place on Earth.
- Atlapedia Online. Full color physical and political maps as well as key facts and statistics on countries of the world.
- Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection. University of Texas at Austin.
- All The Worlds Maps.
- TopoZone. Interactive topo maps of the entire United States.
- Checklist of Online Vegetation and Plant Distribution Maps. Compiled by Claire Englander and Philip Hoehn.
- NOAAServer Project Home Page. Provides access to the nationally distributed environmental information databases of the U. S. National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration. Participating agencies include the National Climatic Data Center, National Geophysical Data Center, National Oceanographic Data Center, National Weather Service, etc.
- Biological Journals and Abbreviations. Abbreviations, full titles, and links to some WWW pages for a large variety of biological and medical journals.
- Perseus Project: Text Tools & Lexica. Digital library of resources for the study of Latin & Greek.
Links to taxon-specific databases can be found throughout the Tree of Life.
- Systematic Biology. Society of Systematic Biologists. Subscription required.
- Cladistics. The International Journal of the Willi Hennig Society. Subscription required.
- Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. Subscription required.
- Molecular Biology and Evolution. Subscription required.
- Journal of Molecular Evolution. Subscription required.
- Phyloinformatics. Open access.
- Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics. Subscription required.
- Trends in Ecology & Evolution. Subscription required.
- Journal of Zoological Systematics and Evolutionary Research. Subscription required.
Gateways, Directories, Search Engines
- BIOME. A guide to quality
Internet resources in the health and life sciences. Resource Discovery
Network, U. K.
- Natural Selection. A gateway to quality, evaluated Internet resources in the natural world co-ordinated by The Natural History Museum, London.
- BioResearch. A searchable catalogue of Internet sites covering the biological and biomedical sciences, including genetics, biotechnology, virology, biochemistry and molecular biology.
- Internet Resource Guides. BIOSIS and the Zoological Society of London.
- The WWW Virtual Library of Ecology & Biodiversity. Center for Conservation Biology Network.
- Ecology WWW page.Links to hundreds of ecology web sites.
- Internet Biodiversity Service. Biodiversity on the Internet.
- Fossil Collections of the World. A list of links maintained by Simon Biggs.
Organizations and Societies
- Association of Systematics Collections
- Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections
- Society of Systematic Biologists
- Systematics Association
- Willi Hennig Society
- Société Française de Systématique (SFS)
- Society for Molecular Biology and Evolution
- European Society for Evolutionary Biology
- Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology (SICB)
- Green Plant Phylogeny Research Coordination Group
- Society of Plant Taxonomists
- Society of Australian Systematic Biologists
- Australian Systematic Botany Society (ASBS)
- International Union of Biological Sciences
- American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS)
- The Linnean Society of London
- Association of Biomolecular Resource Facilities
- Professional Societies and Organizations in Natural History. List of links at UCMP Berkeley.
- Scholarly Societies Project. Facilitating access to information about scholarly societies across the world.
Last updated 22 March 2006